Our pedagogy is:
- Rooted in our values and beliefs about what we want for children
- Informed by our understanding of how children learn and develop and the practices through which we can enhance that process
- Reflected within the nursery environment, both indoors and outdoors, that we provide
- Supported by knowledge, theory and experience
Our shared values and beliefs
We understand that:
- Children are born ready, able and eager to learn and that they actively reach out to interact with other people, and in the world around them.
- Development depends on each unique child having opportunities to interact in positive relationships and enabling environments
- Building a partnership with parents and carers, based upon warm, trusting relationships, supports children’s development and learning
- If we want to know who children are and what they can do we need to ensure we are giving them the opportunities to show us.
Within our practice we prioritize:
- Using our developing understanding of the ‘The characteristics of effective teaching and learning’ (Stewart, 2011) as a starting point for thinking about the provision we make for the children in our setting
- Gaining greater understanding of the individual child through observation, documentation and reflection
- Using this knowledge and understanding to make decisions about how we can best support the child’s development and learning
- Ensuring the environment, both emotional and physical, offers each child appropriate challenge.